Shop by Category
Shop by Category
Acute cough can be very distressing and have a significant effect on children and their families from the many medical interventions to high use of over-the-counter medications, and the impact on the whole family’s daily life (like sleep disturbance).
As young children are unable to verbally express themselves adequately, it is standard practice for parents to be proxy assessors of their young child ’s medical condition. Also, parents/carers are themselves affected by their child’s medical condition and thus the parents’ own quality of life (QoL) is relevant. Thus, QoL measures used in paediatrics concern the parents/carers themselves.
Quality of Life (QoL) measures are now considered fundamental for high quality clinical research and intervention. These tools help healthcare professionals reliably measure and evaluate the efficacy of their intervention. Unfortunately, there were no valid and reliable measures available to pediatricians – until now.
Researchers from the University of Queensland in collaboration with healthcare professionals have developed the Parent-proxy Children’s Acute Cough-specific QoL Questionnaire (PAC-QoL).
The PAC-QoL is a 16-item questionnaire. The questionnaire is fast and easy for parents to fill. It is equally easy for healthcare professionals to use as part of their research and clinical practice. The PAC-QoL uses a 7-point Likert-type scale. Lower scores for the scales reflect greater frequency, concerns, or worries, with higher scores therefore reflecting better QoL.
The PAC-QoL aligns with the World Health Organization domains of psychological, physical and social functioning. It is the first fully validated acute cough-specific quality of life questionnaire for children designed for pediatricians and parents.
Not only is the questionnaire reliable and valid, but also sensitive to change over time. This means that it measures the impact of the child’s acute cough on parents’ and caregivers’ wellbeing and daily life while also mirroring the changes in the cough severity.
- Anderson-James, S., Newcombe, P., Marchant, J., O'Grady, K.-A., Acworth, J., Stone, G., et al. (2015). An acute cough-specific quality-of-life questionnaire for children: Development and validation. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology , 135 (5), 1179-85.
Purchasing the PAC-QoL questionnaire
The PAC-QoL is available now for purchase as a licensed downloadable file. License terms and conditions do apply, so please read these carefully on the product page. Payment is via credit card only.
Commercial Licensees can use the PAC-QoL for:
- Clinical intervention/treatment
- Use by individual students and faculty in conducting academic and scholarly research, academic publishing, or course preparation
- Use as required course readings or viewings
- Distribution of materials to students in a class or posting or scanning materials to a Learning Management System Website (“Learning Management System Website” means a password-protected website or other system maintained by an instructor for use by students enrolled in a particular course).
- Academic presentations or conferences (must be accompanied by reference to the Copyright Owner and with reference that use of the PAC-QoL is not permitted without entering into a license)
Commercial Iicensees are not permitted to publish, share, distribute, modify, sublicense or sell the PAC-QoL materials. They are copyright protected.
The PAC-QoL is priced based on your estimated number of uses during the 12-month license period.
- $700 for 100 uses
- $2,100 for 500 uses
- $3,500 for 1,000 uses
Pricing is in Australian Dollars and is exclusive of GST.
To purchase a commercial use license, complete all required fields and proceed to the checkout. When you purchase a license, you will be charged based on your intended number of uses of the PAC-QoL during a 12-month (annual) period. Should you wish to renew your license after the initial 12-month license period, you can simply come back and renew through the UniQuest e-shop.
Upon receipt of your credit card payment, you will receive the following files for download:
- PAC-QoL questionnaire
And two academic publications:
- An acute cough-specific quality-of-life questionnaire for children: Development and validation
- Validation of a parent-proxy quality of life questionnaire for paediatric chronic cough (PC-QoL)